Q. I have testicle pain after unprotected sex. Could it be epididymitis?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar
Published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most painful when sleeping or sitting. It is not very severe but it does not feel great either. I was checked for all STD's on the next day and the results came in today, all being negative, which was a relief. However, I am still wondering why my balls are aching. They are not red, there are no lumps, and there are no other symptoms going on. From what I read, it seems like I have epididymitis. But, that seems to have too many other symptoms listed that I do not have. What do you think is the issue? I am very healthy and active.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• Generally, epididymitis or orchitis is the most common possibility in your scenario. It might be a mild infection. That is the reason there are no other symptoms.
  • You could go for an ultrasound with color Doppler of the testis to confirm it.
  • You will require antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications for seven to 10 days.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you doctor,

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. So, hopefully, I will get a clear answer then. How do you think I got it if I have no STD's?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• You must have got it during the unprotected intercourse through a urinary passage.
  • One usually worries about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), HSV (herpes simplex virus), chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. but, even a simple bacterial infection can get transmitted during an unprotected intercourse.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Why do I have shooting pain in my calves after walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old known diabetic. Since two years, I am having severe leg pain when I walk even for a small distance. I have shooting pain in my calves after just 10 minutes of walk. Doctors have diagnosed it as calcification of nerves. I have attached my reports for your reference. P...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

I took antibiotics for testicle pain. It has recurred after I finished the course. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54 year old man, 5 feet and 8 inches, weighing 146 pounds. About six weeks ago, I started having intermittent pains and discomfort in my right testicle. Sometimes it was a dull ache, sometimes a sharper, stabbing pain. It seemed to radiate from a spermatocele cyst, which I have ...  Read Full »