Q. I have testicle pain after unprotected sex. Could it be epididymitis?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 02, 2020

I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most painful when sleeping or sitting. It is not very severe but it does not feel great either. I was checked for all STD's on the next day and the results came in today, all being negative, which was a relief. However, I am still wondering why my balls are aching. They are not red, there are no lumps, and there are no other symptoms going on. From what I read, it seems like I have epididymitis. But, that seems to have too many other symptoms listed that I do not have. What do you think is the issue? I am very healthy and active.

#

• Generally, epididymitis or orchitis is the most common possibility in your scenario. It might be a mild infection. That is the reason there are no other symptoms.
  • You could go for an ultrasound with color Doppler of the testis to confirm it.
  • You will require antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications for seven to 10 days.

If you feel your testicular pain is due to a sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc., get a medical second opinion online.

Thank you doctor,

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. So, hopefully, I will get a clear answer then. How do you think I got it if I have no STD's?

#

• You must have got it during the unprotected intercourse through a urinary passage.
  • One usually worries about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), HSV (herpes simplex virus), chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. but, even a simple bacterial infection can get transmitted during an unprotected intercourse.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|