Q. My semen appears yellowish. Is it normal?

Dr. Shahil Khant

My semen appears yellow on toilet paper, but white on the skin. I even tested the color on a plastic object such as a white plastic fork. It still appears yellow. I have this problem for more than five years, but I have no other symptoms. Please see the pictures and let me know if this is normal. I am a smoker. I have not been sexually active for more than a year now. Furthermore, just after I am done urinating, there is a little leakage of urine.

Do you have a question on Semen Color or Semen Analysis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shahil Khant

MBBS., M.S SURGERY., DNB UROLOGY
Andrology General Surgery Urology

• I have seen the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and your semen looks absolutely normal.
  • Get the following tests done to rule out infection:
  1. Semen analysis.
  2. Semen culture and sensitivity.
  • You do not require any medications at present.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Just for clarity, when it looks normal, why is it that I have to undergo these tests? What kind of infection could it possibly be? Also, is my semen white or yellow? Why does the color appear different on my skin and the tissue? Is it possible that there is a problem that has been undetected for five years? Please note that it is extremely embarrassing for me to go to a doctor regarding this issue.

Dr. Shahil Khant

MBBS., M.S SURGERY., DNB UROLOGY
Andrology General Surgery Urology

• I assure you that your semen is absolutely normal. I asked you to rule out any infection just for your own satisfaction.
  • Your semen is white with a mild yellowish tinge. The yellowish tinge does not indicate any underlying problems. This is the normal appearance in all the human males. We can expect mild variations in the color of semen. An infection, if present, would be accompanied by fever and other symptoms.
  • You do not need to see a doctor at present. And most importantly, you need not feel embarrassed to go to one, as we are there to help you and treat you. You could get the previously mentioned tests done, for your own peace of mind.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Also Read Answers From: Semen Color Semen Analysis Semen

Can you check my semen analysis report and help me out?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a total sperm count of 38.4. I am addicted to alcohol, and I took a drink four days ago. I am trying for a baby for two months. I have a history of seizure. I am taking Levera 500 mg, Oxetol 450 mg and Cloba 20 mg. Could I take Folic acid? Can you check my report and help me out...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is evident that your sperm count is low along with high abnormal forms as well. This is called oligoasthenozoospermia. You have to avoid alcohol completely if you wish to increase you...  Read Full »

Are there abnormalities in my semen analysis reports?
Query: Hello doctor, Please find my semen analysis results attached. Are there any abnormalities? And, if so, what is the treatment to be done?  Read Full »
Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The semen count is normal, but the motility is decreased. Motility can be decreased in an infection or if there is a deficiency o...  Read Full »

Why is my semen reddish-brown?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen was brownish. Again yesterday and today, it is the same reddish-brown, and I think it is more watery than usual. I do not have any other symptoms. I do have a varicocele, but I do not think this condition is related to varic...  Read Full »
Dr. Sandeep P
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reddish-brown color of the semen indicates a condition called hematospermia. The most common cause for this condition is idiopathic inflammation of the prostate or seminal vesicles. Do you have any feeling of dysuria (difficulty in urination or painful urination) or...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now