Q. My semen appears yellowish. Is it normal?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My semen appears yellow on toilet paper, but white on the skin. I even tested the color on a plastic object such as a white plastic fork. It still appears yellow. I have this problem for more than five years, but I have no other symptoms. Please see the pictures and let me know if this is normal. I am a smoker. I have not been sexually active for more than a year now. Furthermore, just after I am done urinating, there is a little leakage of urine.

#

• I have seen the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and your semen looks absolutely normal.
  • Get the following tests done to rule out infection:
  1. Semen analysis.
  2. Semen culture and sensitivity.
  • You do not require any medications at present.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Just for clarity, when it looks normal, why is it that I have to undergo these tests? What kind of infection could it possibly be? Also, is my semen white or yellow? Why does the color appear different on my skin and the tissue? Is it possible that there is a problem that has been undetected for five years? Please note that it is extremely embarrassing for me to go to a doctor regarding this issue.

#

• I assure you that your semen is absolutely normal. I asked you to rule out any infection just for your own satisfaction.
  • Your semen is white with a mild yellowish tinge. The yellowish tinge does not indicate any underlying problems. This is the normal appearance in all the human males. We can expect mild variations in the color of semen. An infection, if present, would be accompanied by fever and other symptoms.
  • You do not need to see a doctor at present. And most importantly, you need not feel embarrassed to go to one, as we are there to help you and treat you. You could get the previously mentioned tests done, for your own peace of mind.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|