HomeAnswersDermatologysevere itchingI have been experiencing persistent genital itching for several months. What can be the cause?

What' could cause persistent genital itching and skin problems?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 14, 2024
Reviewed AtFebruary 2, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have been experiencing persistent genital itching for several months. The itch is particularly severe when I return home after a long day at work. The skin in my groin area has become flaky, and the skin above my penis is dry and itchy. Additionally, about half of my penis and the left side of my penis has become discolored, appearing whitish. I have also noticed the development of small bumps on my scrotum. Despite my efforts, I can not seem to control the itching, and sometimes it leads to bleeding. I am currently taking Amlo 5 for blood pressure. Can you please evaluate these symptoms and recommend appropriate treatment or further steps?

Kindly help.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity) and details.

Presuming it is limited to the scrotum and penis and not present in other areas. It may be due to scrotal dermatitis. Follow the below instructions:

  1. Wear loose cotton innerwear.

  2. See that there is adequate ventilation.

  3. Avoid friction or irritation.

  4. Avoid overcleaning the area.

  5. Avoid using harsh soaps.

  6. Wash the area with warm water twice daily.

  7. You can use a gentle cleanser.

  8. Topical steroid applications like Hydrocortisone (Lycor) can be applied initially, to begin with.

  9. Take antihistamines like tablet Cetirizine to reduce itching, when too itchy.

  10. Consult your doctor or dermatologist if it does not subside for further examination and management.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor

I understand but I want to know about the small boils that have appeared under the skin? What could it be? I have been applying anti-allergic but it does not help. Would you prefer any brand? even if it is expensive. Also, I am abroad at the moment so you can suggest accordingly.

Thank you.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You can use topical antibiotic creams like Fucidin (Fusidic acid) or Mupirocin along with Lycor (Corticosteroid) as mentioned earlier. Consult your doctor or dermatologist if it does not subside

I hope this helped.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

amlodipinesevere itchinglump

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy