Q. Is it normal to bleed after intercourse during pregnancy?

I am 13 weeks pregnant, and after having intercourse I passed a blood clot about the size of a quarter. I have a subchronic bleed behind my placenta. Are these two related?

#

Yes, they are related. Intercourse should ideally be avoided till the 18th week of gestation to avoid such episodes of threatened miscarriage. Any bleeding during pregnancy is threatened miscarriage unless proven otherwise and you have a sub-chorionic bleed which confirms it. You require Progesterone support and absolute bed rest for a week and review USG to follow up the sub-chorionic bleed.

|