Q. Does spotting rather than normal bleeding indicate pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I am 30 years old and got married a year ago. We are trying for a baby for the last three months. My LMP was on the 9th of last month. I never faced issues with my menstrual cycle. It is a regular 29 day cycle. We had an unprotected sex from 17th to 25th for every alternate day. I have started getting pain on the right pelvic or pubic bone area from 29th. The pain is not continuous. Sometimes, it was a severe stabbing pain. I have consulted a doctor and performed a vaginal test as well and no abnormalities have been noticed. Also, I have got an ultrasound and thyroid test in the past two months and no abnormalities have been noticed. I got spotted on the 8th and till continued till 10th. It has started as pink and turns into bright red and then dark brown. In the whole three days of my spotting, I had on and off pain. Whenever there is pain, there will be spotting, I can wipe it up with the tissue. On the 8th evening, the spotting continued for 2 hours with 15 to 20 drops and few clots as well. I am sure that was not my menstrual bleeding. I do have proper menstrual bleeding for all these years for three days. I have performed a beta hCG test on 10th and the test results came as negative with the value of less than 1. Please clarify my doubt.

#

If the serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as on 10th is less than 1, then you are surely not pregnant.

The symptoms are part of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) complex where stress and anxiety can often cause the scanty onset of menses. But, full flow may be achieved in the next few days.

There is likelihood that the flow may start in the next few days. Keep a watch, as you are not pregnant during this cycle for sure.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My spotting stopped already. What to do now?

#

• In that case, get an ultrasound pelvis done and check for endometrial thickness.
  • If more than 9 mm and no pregnancy, then you can wait for a week to allow menses to restart again. If not, then you may opt for a progesterone withdrawal.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|