Q. Is it safe to have sex during early pregnancy?

Dr. Tinu Philip
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 29, 2021

My wife recently got pregnant. We checked with my relative sister (who is a Gynecologist), and her report is attached in the documents.

My wife is facing the below symptoms due to pregnancy:

1) Tiredness or fatigue.

2) Continous nausea-type feeling.

3) Lethargy.

4) Unable to eat properly or loss of appetite.

5) Minor menstrual cramps.

6) Constipation.

We want to know if we can have normal sex with the mentioned condition of my wife. If we can have sex, does it need to be protected, or can we have unprotected sex, or will it affect the baby? Due to the COVID issue, we are reluctant to go to another doctor with our query, and our current doctor is in our blood relation, so we are feeling shy to ask her the question of having sex.

#

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Though you have not mentioned clearly how many weeks of pregnancy, I assume it must be within the first 12 weeks as you have said she is recently pregnant. The symptoms of tiredness, nausea, lethargy, unable to eat are very common first trimester symptoms. The key is to eat frequent small foods which are good in protein. Lots of fluid intakes also are advised.

Have you done a first-trimester scan? If not, you are advised to do the scan to rule out any cause for the menstrual cramps and also the position of the developing placenta.

If she has a menstrual cramp-like symptom, I would advise to not to strain herself too much. Sexual activity is better avoided in the first 12 weeks as it can lead to abortions. After 12 weeks, if your scan is normal and the placenta is not low lying, unprotected intercourse can be done. Avoiding penetration would be another way to keep it safe in the second trimester, provided all other factors are normal.

|