Q. Is there a chance of pregnancy after protected intercourse using condom?

Dr. Shoaib Javeed Khan

I and my partner had intercourse two days ago. He used a condom but can I still have a chance with pregnancy. But two days after intercourse my stomach starts to hurt and I am spotting blood. I have read about spotting to be a sign of pregnancy but after a week after intercourse can it just be my period? My period had to start in nine days, but my periods are irregular. Can they come up to more than a week early or late? Please suggest I do not know what is going on.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Based on the information provided, I would like to rightfully start by saying that condoms are 98.9 % effective in preventing conception. The 1.1 % is due to a poorly manufactured condom or due to inadequate care taken to follow the instructions of use. In my opinion, if you followed the instructions of use, there should be nothing to worry about.

As for the spotting, this could purely be due to the sexual act itself. Many women have mild spotting after sexual intercourse, some simply due to the excessive contraction and relaxation of the muscles and some due to rough sexual intercourse.

As for an implantation bleed, this takes place quite a few days after the sexual act, so it cannot be assumed to be a sign of pregnancy.

This, in my opinion, is most probably due to the sexual act itself, or due to an early onset of your period. Wait and watch for a few more days, and if the spotting subsides then this was purely due to the sexual act. If it gets heavier then this is an early-onset period triggered by sexual intercourse.

Please also make sure you keep track of your menstrual cycle if at all you do not experience your period now. If there is a delay in your periods, then conduct a home pregnancy test around two weeks after the sexual act and write back to me for further guidance.

Do not worry, pregnancy is unlikely. I hope this helps.

|