Q. I have shortness of breath when I lie on the left side of my body. What is the reason?

Dr. Sosela Rrusho
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 23, 2021

I have shortness of breathing whenever I lay in bed on my left side. I feel panicking when I think of some problem followed by shortness of breathing. Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern, and I hope you are doing well. However, to give you a more accurate answer I need to know more about your complaints. Do you have any chest pain or other complaints?

The symptoms that you describe can come from different causes:

1) Cardiac conditions.

2) Related with respiratory tract, lungs, chest wall.

3) Neuromuscular conditions.

4) Other causes are anemia, obesity, abdominal wall hernia, etc.

As you have described, it seems like you may have generalized anxiety or panic attack. Please do not neglect it, but do a consult with a doctor because it is necessary to rule out other possible differential diagnoses and do some questionnaires regarding anxiety to find even its severity. After that, you will decide about the appropriate medication and the dosage if necessary.

I hope this was helpful.

Meantime physical activity will help and have time with people that gave you joy. Try not to take too many responsibilities during this time but delegate some of them, take time for yourself to do things that you enjoy, and do not feel bad because we all go through anxiety situations at some moments in our lives. Please let me know about everything. I hope the answer was helpful for you and I wish you all the best. Blessings

|