Q. Can disability claims be processed for body pain and reduced range of motion?

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

I recently had these X-rays taken to proceed with my disability claim with the VA (Department of Veteran Affairs), which includes the spinal cord, both shoulders, hips/pelvis, both wrists, and knees. I have been experiencing continual degeneration, pain, and reduced range of motion in these areas, which began when I was in the military. I am looking for a supportive analysis to help with this disability claim.

#

Welcome to iCliniq.com

We are sorry to learn about the pain and distress you have been going through and will try to give you some reassurance and support.

I have gone through all the x-rays you have uploaded and will summarise the findings below.

1) Knees - Joint space reduction on both sides. That means there is cartilage loss. In medical terms, it is called osteoarthritic changes.

2) Shoulders - (right) Widening of acromioclavicular joint, with deformity/remodeling involving lateral end of the clavicle. It looks like you got a fracture at the lateral end of the right clavicle quite some time ago. Is it so? (left) The left shoulder is perhaps normal on x-ray.

3) Wrist - Bones and joints look quite fine.

4) Hips - Quite fine.

5) Pelvis - Some sclerosis at the lower end of the left SI (sacroiliac) joint, likely representing a degenerative process.

6) Spine - Limbus vertebra at C6 level, a developmental variant. Otherwise, no significant findings.

So, these are the findings on your x-rays. Since I am not acquainted with the disability claims policies in your military, I can not comment on how useful these findings may be on your end. However, it looks like you got a fracture at the lateral end of the right clavicle some time ago, so maybe that could be a potential point of claim. In any case, I wish you all the best.

Thank you for the response.

Yes, you are correct. I had a military-related issue back in the year 2000. They said it was a torn labrum, but I had my doubts. I was in a sling for months; it has never been the same as before the incident. Is it possible to get your findings for my rightsholders, knees, pelvis, and spine? In a referendum style, electronic document, please?

#

I am afraid I am not sure what kind of a document would be helpful for you, and basically, the replying process at iCliniq is a text message.

However, I can provide you with the full text of those X-ray reports (but I also think you could get those reports from the imaging center). I hope you find it helpful.

1) X-RAY OF BOTH KNEE

HISTORY: Pain, restricted movement. No fracture. No lytic / sclerotic lesion. Joint space reduction at medial tibiofemoral compartments of both knee joints. Articular margins are regular. No soft tissue calcification. No abnormal soft tissue swelling.

IMPRESSION: Osteoarthritic changes

X-Ray Pelvis A/P View

HISTORY: Pain. No abnormal radiopaque shadow is noted in the pelvic region. No fracture or lytic/sclerotic bony lesion is noted. Joint spaces are maintained in both hips and SI joints. Articular margins are regular in both hips and SI joints. Mild sclerosis at the lower end of the left SI joint. No abnormal soft tissue opacity or calcification is identified in the pelvic cavity. IMPRESSION: Degenerative changes

X-RAY Right SHOULDER

HISTORY: Trauma in 2000. (?) Labral tear. Pain / restricted movement. Upward angulation of the lateral end of the right clavicle. No lytic / sclerotic lesion.

Joint space widening at the acromioclavicular joint. Articular margins are regular. No soft tissue calcification. No abnormal mild tissue swelling. IMPRESSION: Old fracture at the lateral end of the clavicle, with subluxation at the acromioclavicular joint

X-RAY CERVICAL SPINE B/V

HISTORY: Pain / restricted movement. CURVATURE: Straightened. Atlantoaxial distance normal. VERT. BODIES: Heights maintained. Normal bony opacity. Margins aligned. End-plates smooth. Wedge-shaped bone fragment anterior to C6 disc level — limbus vertebra.

POSTERIOR ELEMENTS: No fracture or lytic/sclerotic lesion. DISC SPACES: Maintained. No abnormal swelling, mass lesion, calcification, hemorrhage, foreign bodies, air lucency, or air-fluid levels were found in pre or paravertebral soft tissue planes. IMPRESSION: Limbus vertebra at C6 level

|