Q. Is fertility and sperm count affected by Testosterone intake?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I had taken testosterone years back, and my testicles shrunk. I had stopped taking it after two months, but it did not increase in size. I subsequently got my testosterone levels checked, and the tests were normal. I am concerned about my fertility and sperm count. Will they get affected? Please help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Low sperm counts can have multiple reasons and should be investigated. Firstly, an external supplement of testosterone will suppress the testes from producing the hormone and reduce sperm production. The return of normal testosterone levels is good, but the recovery of the average sperm count would take longer. It can take up to one year. Also, one test of semen analysis will not be sufficient to understand this. I advise you to get a semen analysis once again. We also need hormone tests of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FH). If these tests are normal, I suggest you get an ultrasound of the scrotum to look for varicocele.

Please also attach the testosterone test levels, which was done previously.

|