Q. My skin is damaged after intense pulsed light therapy for dry eyes. Will it resolve?

Dr. Shama Naaz
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2021

I got IPL for dry eyes almost one month ago. Since then, I noticed that my skin is different in texture in some parts. I will post a picture. I have seen a dermatologist who said that this healing process could take months. Should I trust them, or will it permanently damage my skin? I would be very grateful for your help.

#

The area after IPL (intense pulsed light) treatment becomes sensitive. So please make sure to take proper care to avoid these side effects. These instructions (pre and post-treatment care) are given to the patients before the therapy. I hope they had given you counseling regarding the possible side effects. Sometimes redness and sensitivity occur. For that, you should apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or higher daily. It would help if you used a gentle cleanser like CeraVe facial cleanser to wash your face and apply a hypoallergenic perfume and paraben-free moisturizer to heal the area. Sometimes post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation occurs after treatment, but they tend to fade away with time. If there are any residual blemishes left, they can be treated by laser treatment if topical therapy fails. So, there are a wide range of treatment options to get rid of the blemish.

Thanks for the reply, doctor,

I understood, but I am more concerned about the way my skin looks. Here is a picture in the night to show you how it looks. Does this tend to fade away, or is it damaged?

#

Yes, I can see a change in your skin texture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). But it is hard to quantify the damage just by looking at it, and a lot has to do with the care you are giving your skin in the meantime. Usually, IPL is safe if done by a trained physician or dermatologist. But in your case, there is side effect after the procedure which you could have taken care of to avoid skin texture changes. I have limited information on your immediate skin condition after the treatment. Postoperatively if you had a burning sensation or went out without using sunscreen, then there is skin damage. But if you took care of your skin by using bland moisturizers or sun protection, this texture change has the potential to get better. The degree of damage depends upon the skin condition postoperatively and the postoperative care you received to take care of your skin.

|