Q. I developed rashes all over the body which looks like typical sun allergy. What could it be?

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

I started developing a rash all over my body. It first started on the lower parts of my legs and looked like ingrown hair or small goose bumps with very tiny white or skin-colored little bumps that do not itch. In the areas where it is more concentrated, it looks more like dermatitis but very small, so it is not very obvious at the first look. I also had areas on my arms. Yesterday, it also started to develop very strongly on my chest area where it itches a bit and also has reddish bumps and it looks like a typical sun allergy. Today, I even see the same rashes developing on my toes and in all the rash has spread all over my body now. Although it is not itching, I feel very uncomfortable because it feels like I have a very rough skin surface. What could this be?

#

I have gone through the details of the history of your problem provided to us, as well as the clinical photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per the history, distribution of lesions and appearance of lesions on the photos appears to be Miliaria Rubra (in layman terms-prickly heat), which has additionally become flared-up due to sweating, sun-exposure and possibly some local applications. To be able to confirm my doubt about this condition, I would need you to answer my small queries:

1) How is the prevalent weather in your city as of now and as per your daily home and office routine, do you think you may have sustained a lot of sun exposure and sweating or high temperatures of late? If yes, then it goes in favor of this possibility.

2) Is it too itchy? Or itches more on sweating?

3) What kind of fabric do you prefer to wear? It is better for you to stick to pure cotton as of now.

4) Has any procedure such as waxing been done recently? Waxing or any temporary hair removal method may also result in such bumps or may exacerbate heat rash.

Based on my presumption that we are dealing with a flared-up version of prickly heat, I would like to suggest the following to you:

1) Try to keep yourself in cool, air-conditioned environment.

2) Take frequent baths with cool water and non-medicated soap. Something like Dove soap would be ideal.

3) Prefer wearing pure cotton and loose garments, to prevent the accumulation of sweat.

4) Apply a soothing Lacto calamine based lotion three to four times a day. It will give you a soothing feel and also expedite the resolution of your bumps.

5) Since it has spread to quite an area of the body, you would additionally need anti-itching drugs by mouth. I would suggest you procure and take Cetirizine 10 mg. Take one tablet daily after dinner for 10-15 days. Although drowsiness is seen in very few patients who take cetirizine, beware of its remote possibility.

6) I would also like to recommend the application of a mild steroidal lotion over the affected parts for at least 7-10 days to expedite the resolution of your symptoms. Apply Desowen (Desonide) lotion over the affected parts twice a day for five days followed by once a day for another five days, and then stop.

|