Q. I have itchy rashes all over the body and experiencing stiffness in the morning. Why?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on Dec 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2019

I have a daily clock like work since four years. I finished remodeling a manufactured home and college working full time. Every night starting around 9 pm I start to get stiff and then it slowly worsens by 11 pm. I can barely lift an arm or stand up without pain. Opening a bottle and buttoning pants during this time is a lot of effort too. This stiffness and inflammation also happens in the morning, while getting out of my bed and washing my hair is a real job for me to get done. The key points being by elbows, hands, and knees. Another problem I had that happened as soon as I moved out into my manufactured home is these scratches that do not heal, they look as if they are scars but then there are some that develop that are not from scratches. But it is more like a rash that itch (manageably) and they started on my underarms and the back of my hands, where now they continue to reside there. Now it spread to my legs, stomach and armpits. I have a sore throat now but I do not know if it associated with these problems. Please see the attached photos for the rash I am dealing with. I come from a polish background and my grandmother had RA, but not until her 60s and my parents never have had problems like what I am experiencing now.

I am currently on birth control and Zoloft 50 mg daily. i did a thyroid test at the age of 17 and it was negative.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I have gone through your pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The rashes do look like urticarial. It may be induced by environmental changes or it may be due to some other problem coming up. But, they do happen due to some form of inflammation going on. The pattern of your pain is a bit unusual as it happens in the night only. It may be due to your muscles getting fatigued over the long day of work. But, early morning stiffness, does point out towards another inflammatory disease.

I am going to advise you on a few tests which you should carry out and meanwhile start on anti-allergics for these rashes. Do update me.

Also, I would like to know details on symptoms like oral ulcers, hair fall, joint swelling, worsening of rash on sun exposure, dry eyes, dry mouth,etc.? The reason for you are on Zoloft (Sertraline) is still unclear.

Autoimmune.

1. ANA (antinuclear antibody test),
2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate),
3. CRP (C-reactive protein),
4. CBC (complete blood count),
5. LFT (liver function test).

Urticaria.

Anti-allergic.

I am worried about flu and skin rashes I had after two weeks of unprotected oral sex. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I received oral sex from a sex worker without condom and sex with a condom. After two weeks, I got flu (no fever), then I was panic, too much stressed and worried. And I had body burn like sunburn about a week. I have a skin rash on my backside and a few spots. I worry about this proble...  Read Full »

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now