Q. My son has rashes all over his body since five months. Please help.

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

My son is 2 years and 9 months old. Five months back, he got rashes all over his hands, face and legs, from buttocks to toe. We have consulted many doctors. One of them said it would last three months and prescribed some medicines, but it did not subside. I was then told he is hypersensitive and was given medications for the same. Even though it did not help, we are just continuing those medicines.

#

From your description, your kid might be having acute urticaria symptoms, papular urticaria or purpura.

Please send me a few pictures, taken when the rash is active. This will help me in diagnosis.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached a picture as well as his latest blood reports. Will this cause health problems? Please suggest a medicine.

#

I have seen the pictures and gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your kid is suffering from prurigo nodularis, the reason for which is dry and sensitive skin. Mosquito bites will flare the reaction.

I suggest the following:

1. Start using Cetaphil Dam moisturizer twice daily.
  2. For a few days, avoid soap and bathe only with water.
  3. Keep him fully covered after 6 PM to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
  4. Apply Clonate (Clobetasol topical) ointment on the affected skin after applying the moisturizer. Use this medicated steroid until rash settles down and then discard it.
  5. To control itching start Teczine (Levocetirizine) syrup and Calamine lotion as and when required.

Thanks for replying.

#

You are welcome.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|