Q. What causes bluish-red rash on the side of the neck?

Dr. Charu Bansal
Published on Sep 07, 2019

This is regarding my friend's infection condition. He went to sleepover at a friend's place and the next day had a bluish-red rash on right side of the neck. It was very painful. He consulted a doctor who injected him for fungal infection. But the next day the rash was bigger and prominent than before. The pain was also more severe and movements were difficult. I am attaching a picture each of these two days. Kindly advise.

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

I have read your query. I have seen the attached photographs also (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I understand your concern. As per details, it seems that your friend has got a condition of the skin called paedrous dermatitis. It is also known as insect bite dermatitis. It is characterized by a sudden spontaneous rash which is red colored with a black bite mark and is mostly painful or associated with a burning sensation.

In such cases, I prefer to advise oral antibiotics like Cloxacillin and topical cream containing a combination of antibiotic and steroid-like Futop-B cream. It is to be applied over the affected area twice daily for 5 to 7 days. In addition, antihistaminics like Levocetirizine also help. He should visit the doctor in person so that he can examine and give him a prescription. You can share my opinion with him.

| 

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full »

Are child's skin rashes due to viral infection or allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5 years old and has developed rashes on face and few on his hands. He has no fever and is fresh playing around. He went out to farm with family and zoo last week, and since yesterday he started developing few rashes. He was having very low fever a couple days back but recove...  Read Full »