Q. What causes bluish-red rash on the side of the neck?

Dr. Charu Bansal

This is regarding my friend's infection condition. He went to sleepover at a friend's place and the next day had a bluish-red rash on right side of the neck. It was very painful. He consulted a doctor who injected him for fungal infection. But the next day the rash was bigger and prominent than before. The pain was also more severe and movements were difficult. I am attaching a picture each of these two days. Kindly advise.

Dr. Charu Bansal

Cosmetology Dermatology
#

I have read your query. I have seen the attached photographs also (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I understand your concern. As per details, it seems that your friend has got a condition of the skin called paedrous dermatitis. It is also known as insect bite dermatitis. It is characterized by a sudden spontaneous rash which is red colored with a black bite mark and is mostly painful or associated with a burning sensation.

In such cases, I prefer to advise oral antibiotics like Cloxacillin and topical cream containing a combination of antibiotic and steroid-like Futop-B cream. It is to be applied over the affected area twice daily for 5 to 7 days. In addition, antihistaminics like Levocetirizine also help. He should visit the doctor in person so that he can examine and give him a prescription. You can share my opinion with him.

|