Q. I have skin rashes with swelling of lips and eyes. What could it be?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

I am a 20-year-old man. For the past three months, I have been suffering from rashes on my skin. It is usually occurring at night. I have seen two dermatologists. Both of them have not been able to identify the cause. Now I am in big trouble that I am getting irritated. Sometimes my lips and eyes also swell. It occurs as red bubbles, which are big. The bubbles are like ant bites. I have been tested for allergies and thyroid. But, the results were good. So, the doctors were unable to identify the cause. Now should I conduct any further tests? Is this any serious skin problem like skin cancer? I am very tensed. I am not able to concentrate fully on my studies due to this. Please help me. I have attached pictures for your reference.

#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your clinical diagnosis is urticaria. You have mentioned that you have had this issue for three months. So, to be more precise, it is chronic spontaneous urticaria. The most common causes of urticaria are infection anywhere in the body, dental disease, urine infection, infestation with worms in stool, common in children, indigestion of any medicine, food intake which you are allergic to, any injection or insect bite medicine, or any implants like tooth implants. But most of the time, the cause cannot be found; it is called idiopathic urticaria. I suggest going for a detailed investigation because you have swelling of lips and eyes. This is called angioedema. You need an antihistamine or an anti-allergy medicine round the clock, and to suppress the rashes and swelling, you need corticosteroids. I would suggest you consult a dermatologist in any good medical college where all investigations will be available. If you are experiencing swelling of lips and eyes, I suggest visiting a medical institute.

|