Q. I feel exhausted, but still cannot sleep at night. Why?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2019

I have trouble sleeping, but when I do get the chance to sleep I often wake up still feeling exhausted. My thoughts keep me up at night and as a result, I am always thinking about tomorrow or worrying.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Most causes of sleeplessness are due to wrong habits and the good news is that it is easy to cure them.

1. You should have a natural circadian rhythm. Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time every day, and wake at the same time.

2. Do not take coffee or tea after 6 PM. Milk can be taken.

3. Cover the windows and doors with curtains and avoid light. Avoid watching TV lying in bed and avoid mobile phones.

4. Do exercise. Walk for 45 minutes after dinner. Take a bath after that.

| 

What is the treatment for sleep paralysis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male, who weighs 70 kg and I am 5.6 feet tall. I am having a lot of problems while waking up in the morning. I cannot move my body when I get up in the morning. It happens when I have a disturbed sleep. One of my friend, who is not a physician and a patient of sleep ...  Read Full »

Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Se...  Read Full »

Please suggest food habits to sleep well.

Query: Hi doctor, I work from 3 PM to 1 AM and cannot sleep once I am back. My food habits are also messed up. As I cannot sleep properly, I get up late. Hence, I am missing my breakfast and having heavy brunch. Some days, I even miss lunch and have dinner around 7 PM. I have also started putting weight un...  Read Full »