Q. I was born without a sense of smell. Can it be corrected?

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2021

I was born without a sense of smell. Are there any procedures to fix it or gain my sense of smell?

#

• The sense of smell is carried by the nerve fibers originating in the roof of the nose. A loss of sense of smell is known as anosmia. This can occur secondary to childhood viral infections, childhood head trauma, etc.
  • Most of the times, a long-standing anosmia is permanent, but not bothersome, because other nerves take care of the sense of smell partially. If your nerves are still functioning, there is a chance that you may recover your sense of smell.
  • You should get an MRI of your nose and brain to diagnose the cause of your problem. Depending on the results prognosis can be explained.

For more information consult an otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|