iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral MedicinesmokingI want to quit smoking. Please help.

What are the ways to quit smoking in a 57-year-old male?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 20, 2024
Reviewed AtFebruary 20, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 57-year-old man, and I have been a smoker for the past 15 years. Lately, I have been feeling the need to quit. I smoke around ten cigarettes a day, and I have this feeling that if I keep going like this, it is not going to end well. I want to stop this habit for good.

  1. Can you give me some advice on how to quit?
  2. I have heard about nicotine patches and chewing gums; do those work?
  3. Are there any medications that can help in this process?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com

Good, you have decided to quit smoking.

The best way to quit smoking is with a combination of medication and counseling. You can buy gum, patches, or lozenges over the counter. There are also prescription medications that may help you quit.

A nicotine nasal spray or inhaler can reduce withdrawal symptoms and make it easier for you to quit smoking. Quitting smoking has health benefits at any age, no matter how long or how much you have smoked.

Patches can provide a steady level of nicotine in the body to help lessen withdrawal, while the gum or lozenge can be used to relieve cravings more quickly as they happen. If you have a lot of desires while using the patch, you may not be using a strong enough dose.

Nicotine gums: Those who have been using nicotine gum for over six months tend to complain of recurrent nightmares and disruptive sleep that may lead to other severe health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, fatigue, and overall decreased quality of life. You better go for counseling.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. C. Elanchezhian
Dr. C. Elanchezhian

General Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

cigarette smokingsmoking

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy