Q. Do social anxiety needs treatment?

Dr. Punya Mulky
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 14, 2019

I think I have social anxiety, but I am not sure if it is affecting my life enough to do anything about it. I do not want to tell my mom, but I am sure therapy would help as I am very insecure, have a negative mindset, and generally I am very paranoid of what others think.

I do not know how I will hold a job as I hate others observing me and hate confrontation and I am worried about interacting with customers, etc. Is social anxiety an essential one to get treated? How to tell my mom without making her worry.

Dr. Punya Mulky

Psychiatry
#

I understand you are quite worried and frightened about your problems. Social anxiety is common, and it is all about what it does that affects the people more. Your worries about your inability to hold on to a job and avoiding social situations are valid. It is very important to treat social anxiety because if left untreated it will gradually keep increasing and you may end up feeling frustrated and depressed as well.

Regarding explaining this to your mother, you can read and find it easy to understand articles regarding social anxiety and ask your mother to go through that. First of all, you need to make her understand that it is an illness like diabetes or hypertension. If it is an illness, it has some symptoms and a proper course and treatment as well.

If you had diabetes, would your mother pity you? No, she would ask you to consult a doctor. Similarly, in this case, you will need medicines as well as therapy to overcome your symptoms and gain some control of your life. No one needs to pity you for anything. Once you start viewing this from a rational point of view, you will be able to explain it better to your family. I hope this helps. Take care.

I feel panic to face people in public. Is it fine to take Inderal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting panic to face people. I want to overcome it as it makes me sad. I am a teacher and this frustrates me when I have to say something in front of pupils. When I am in class I do not have a problem. But for example, when all the students gathered in the yard I used to avoid speak...  Read Full >>

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms and details you have mentioned clearly suggest social anxiety disorder. In social situations like speaking in front of a gathering, talking to someone of high reputation, speaking with opposite sex individuals develop anxiety symptoms like redness of fac...  Read Full

I overthink and feel anxious around people. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I feel really anxious around the people. If I see people around me talking or laughing, I immediately feel that they are laughing at me. If I have to talk to another person for any event, I feel my chest tighten and a knot in my stomach. I do not know what this feeling is. I also tend...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand what you must be feeling all this time. You are suffering from social anxiety disorder. That is why you always feel anxious, frightened. I would advise you to try deep breathing exercise, meditation, yoga, etc. If this thing does not work, you can try a ...  Read Full

I am sensitive and fear socializing with people. Is there any effective medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am realizing that I am an extremely sensitive person. I fear socializing with people. I think too much about what people think about me. There is a lot of fear within me. When people scold me, I take it too deeply and even my mouth vibrates. It is conspicuously visible. I have a lot ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Youness Tanani
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you have is social phobia, anxiety and mostly is a result of a hard or strict education in childhood. Here are some ways you can build your confidence in life in general and help you rid yourself of social anxiety: Accept who you are. We are all different. So...  Read Full