Q. I have a painless soft tissue growth in the tooth socket shortly after extraction. What could it be?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I am a 36-year-old male. I have soft tissue growth from the extracted tooth socket shortly after extraction and do not seem to be growing anymore. What could this be?

#

I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is an excessive gum growth that sometimes occurs in an extracted socket. After extraction, the healing activity and blood supply in the socket will particularly be high, which can cause exaggerated growth sometimes.

You will require removal of that soft lump to prevent further bleeding, irritational injury of that tissue due to opposing tooth/food causing a secondary infection. Please visit your dentist and get that removed safely.

| 

Should I be concerned that it is cancer?

#

This looks more like a benign hyperplastic lesion (Epulis). However, after excision of this lesion, it would be sent for routine biopsy examination to rule out any malignancy. Please do not worry. Get this checked as soon as possible.

Excisional biopsy.

Inflammatory hyperplastic lesion in reference to the recently extracted socket.

|