Q. I had steam inhalation and now suffering from soreness and itching in the throat. Please help.

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2021

I took hot steam inhalation directly from the stove without switching it off thrice daily for a month. I used Karvol plus, turmeric, and Zinda tilismath for steam inhalation. Can I have a chance of developing throat or lung cancer or any other type of cancer due to this process of steam inhalation taken continuously thrice daily from the direct stove without offing it? I was inhaling gas as the stove was on. After doing this, I have severe throat itching and soreness along with discomfort in the ears for almost two months. I took Bilagra, Azee, Doxcyp, Medrol 16 mg, nasal spray, salt water gargling, Montek, Lexcin, and Betadine gargling. But there is no improvement.

#

You have allergic rhinitis. It occurs due to a hyper response to certain material such as dust. It presents with bouts of sneezing that occur more at a specific time in a day. Apart from dust, there are many other materials that can cause allergic rhinitis. The affected persons can have itching in the eyes, nasal itching, eye-watering, headache, and watery nasal discharge. You need to know that allergic symptoms have a high likelihood chance to reappear again after the treatment is complete. It occurs because the treatment involves in suppression of the allergic response and it does not involve the treatment of the cause. When the medication is stopped and exposed to allergic material, your allergic symptom comes back again. Taking steam inhalation with a gas burner does not cause lung cancer. Keeping gas burner on while taking steam inhalation is highly dangerous. It can cause burns. I suggest you continue taking steroid nasal spray with simple steam inhalation and warm water gargles.

|