Q. I have a sore throat and feel a block. Why is it so?

Dr. Sumaiya Jamil

I had a sore throat but has gone away now. I feel like something is blocking my throat. I look in the mirror and nothing is there. I feel it deep in my throat like it is clear when I breathe with my mouth open but when it is closed, it is blocked.

#

I would like to know if there is actual swelling outside or inside the throat. If not, there could be following reasons for feeling like a blocked throat. This is called globus pharyngeus which is little inflammation of the throat. The medications you have taken during infection might have caused dry throat and muscles and membranes are affected due to strain. Anxiety can also cause this feeling as we are swallowing more when we get anxious. I would also suggest seeing for any ulcers in the throat. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), gastritis can also cause this feeling. Treatment is to try to destress yourself and relax and take antacids like Gaviscon or Maalox after meals for a few days, if not better, please let us know. If the symptoms increase like you have pain or difficulty in swallowing please see a doctor for a physical examination.

|