Q. I have sore throat and lost my voice for about a month. How to get that treated?

I am 19 years old. Over four weeks ago, I started getting a sore throat and lost my voice for about a month now. I have a sore neck like something is grabbing it. My voice has been sore if I try and talk. I have mucus coming up, which is white colored with some blood. I am on Penicillin V for about one week. It just seems that the pain is getting worse and voice is still lost. Two weeks ago, the doctor said it was a virus and just keeps saying that it should get better soon. But, nothing is helping. Should I go back to the doctors or is there anything else I can try? I have been taking Paracetamol, a throat spray and an antibiotic. All the doctor seems to say that it is a viral infection. I am worried as it has been a month and there has been no change.

#

• I would suggest you take a swab of the throat mucus and ascertain the organism that is growing and producing the symptoms.
  • The sensitivity pattern will reveal whether the organism is responding to the antibiotic being taken.
  • To help lighten the mucus and remove it, I suggest Ambroxol hydrochloride or N-acetylcysteine two tablets a day in the empty stomach. Drink plenty of warm fluids.
  • I would also suggest taking an anti-inflammatory drug like trypsin-chymotrypsin-rutoside which will reduce edema and swelling. A decongestant added to the above regimen will provide additional relief.
  • I would like you to get a laryngoscopy procedure, which will provide a direct view of lower throat and help rule out any inflammation or growth or reflux signs. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I have difficulty in swallowing and a sore throat. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fever for almost three days. The first day it was not a high temperature. I had difficulty swallowing and I had a sore throat. Today, the fever is 39.3 Celsius. I had tonsillitis three times before and I have been prescribed Co-amoxiclav, Dequadin, and Strepsils. Please help.  Read Full »

Why is there a lump in throat followed by dry cough?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a lump in throat under the chin, lump on left side of the neck and lump on the left shoulder. Followed by headaches, voice hoarseness, and dry irritation cough. I am a female of 32 years.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»