Q. I have sore throat with mild fever and I am breastfeeding. What medication should I take?

Dr. Noushin Payravi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2020

I am 25 years old. I am a breastfeeding mother for 6 months baby. I have a sore throat from yesterday and feel difficulty in swallowing with light fever but not continuous. Today my right eye is slightly reddish and I had a cough again but not continuous. Currently, I am taking Azithrol, Rantac, and Montec. These medicines were given to me while I had a cold before 1 month. Doctor said to continue it if I had further cold. I am frightened to go to doctor in this pandemic time. Please help.

Dr. Noushin Payravi

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Thanks for sharing your medical info with us.

I totally understand your concern and I will try to recommend the best you can take to help you relieve your symptoms. Please do not take Montac and Rantac since they are not the best options for your current situation. You are dealing with an upper respiratory tract infection so you need relevant medications.

Take Azithromycin tablet (two tablets on the first day then one for the next five days). Loratadine tablet is recommended, if not available go for Fexofenadine, both are perfect antihistamines with minimal to zero side effects (they are non-sedative unlike others). Tylenol is alright, it helps with the fever, and generalized symptoms, also safe while breastfeeding.

Try an herbal cough depressant (the ones with ginger and honey). Take lots of fluids and I also recommend a bit of isolation at home, for a tiny chance of having the virus.

|