Q. What is the treatment for throat pain with cough in a child?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter is 6 years old and weighs about 24 to 25 kg. She is having throat pain and cough and running a fever of 100.5 degree since yesterday. She got throat infection from me. I consulted with my doctor and she gave p250 7.5 ml and Betadine gargle for her and told us to consult a Pediatrician. But my daughter is not getting better. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please continue the same treatment as going on. An antibiotic like Augmentin may need to be added based on the clinical examination of the child (to see if it is required). Also, Ibugesic may be started to reduce the pain and inflammation (if any) based on the clinical examination.

As of now to relieve the pain you can use Ibugesic 8 ml (SOS only). As far as the cough is concerned, you may cut down on the Betadine gargles and instead take one teaspoon of honey with lukewarm water twice a day for a soothing effect. Show the pediatrician tomorrow for further course of treatment.

| 

Thank you for your reply. I am currently taking Augmentin 625 tablet. Can you please suggest syrup form of Augmentin for her age and dosage information?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You can take syrup Augmentin TDS (400 mg/5 ml) as 7 ml twice a day instead of the tablet. Duration is the same as prescribed for the tablet.

| 
1 out of 1 likes