Q. Can persistent pain in the tongue with white thrush be due to sharp teeth?

Dr. Rakshana Devi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have been suffering from persistent pain due to white thrush on my tongue for one month. So I just want to know why I am getting this? Would you please help me with this? I also have a viral cough, so I am currently using Tablet Amoxicillin.

#

I saw your query. I saw the picture attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will help you solve your doubts. Your tongue looks quite normal, so do not worry. It will not be a serious complication. Check if any teeth are scratching on the tongue. The cusps of teeth may be sharp to cause injury to the tongue. If you feel you have sharp teeth, follow up. I advise you to take painkillers twice a day for three days. I suggest you temporary relief measures by,

• Doing soft tongue scraping.
  • Brushing teeth twice daily.
  • Rinsing with mouth wash.
  • Rinsing with saltwater.
  • Applying coconut oil.

The pain will subside. If it did not subside means follow-up. About viral cough, you can consult a general physician. Check if you have any other symptoms like taste loss.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

|