Q. What could be the sound that we hear during silence?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 26, 2019

When we are in silence, we always hear some sound. I know we are not in a vacuum, so some external sound will always be audible house noises, etc.? Hope this is not tinnitus. Even sensory deprivation of ear causes body noises and hallucinations, read in places that are created as 0 dB anechoic chamber.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This is not tinnitus. Tinnitus would be heard easily, trouble you, and you would not have to search for it specifically. Tinnitus would be heard even in an environment with some sound not sufficient to mask tinnitus. It may interfere with your daily activities. And yes, in an external 0 dB environment, one may normally hear sounds of his body like of blood flow, heartbeats, respiratory sounds, etc. So, this is quite normal. Hallucinations are different thing. It hears sounds, seeing objects and human which are not there and real, usually to trouble you, harm you. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

I understood. Sometimes when we concentrate in dark or white surface, we see some dots playing around. I was told that it is our brain filling up spaces (phosphene or neural noise) and is hallucinations. I thought if for ears also the same thing is applicable. But I believe when no external source present, it is our bodily noises that fill up our ear or external sounds. I guess when we are sensory deprived, it causes us to hallucinate (eyes closed or no noise).

#

Seeing dots or listening to some noise whenever we are a calm environment is a normal phenomenon for our body. Those dots are also due to fluid movements in our eyes called vitreous. Also, the source of noise is our body only. But, here in both cases, these are existing. Now, hallucinations are a pathological process where you see or hear which are non-existant. Like seeing snake or humans which are not there or hearing sounds like someone is muttering and planning conspiracy, abusing but it is virtual. So, you will experience things which are not simultaneously experienced by others.

Are those dots because of neural noise (seen in the complete dark also)? But I understood in any case hallucination is different.

#

Yes, it is a neural noise, another thing which contributes to it is a movement of fluid within one eye. Even in so-called complete dark, there is some light present which may get refracted to visible light. So, it is normal such a thing, and it is a result of multiple factors.

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

What is the reason for non-healing sores on leg and scalp?

Query: Hello doctor, I have sores that would not heal on the leg. So many painful sores and/or welts all over scalp for a month now, dizzy, lightheaded, extreme fatigue, decreased appetite. Blood pressure and resting heart rate are constantly high (i.e., 110/102) for months with unsuccessful treatments so...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and all your photos and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me first list out your problems. Non-healing sores. Blood pressure is not coming under control and high heart rate. Respiratory tract infection, sweating and ...  Read Full

Common Sports Injuries

Article Overview: Injuries that occur during sport, exercising, or during some athletic activity are called sports injuries. Such injuries can be caused when you are not regularly active or do not warm up properly or during contact sports. The most common areas injured are the knee and ankle. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Injuries that occur during sport, exercising, or during some athletic activity are called sports injuries. Such injuries can be caused when you are not regularly active or do not warm up properly or during contact sports. The most common areas injured are the knee and ankle. What Are the Types of S...  Read Article