Q. Why am I having non-healing sores on leg and scalp?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Sep 23, 2018

I have sores that would not heal on the leg. So many painful sores and/or welts all over scalp for a month now, dizzy, lightheaded, extreme fatigue, decreased appetite. Blood pressure and resting heart rate are constantly high (i.e., 110/102) for months with unsuccessful treatments so far. Several days ago at urgent care 158/108, pulse 108, said I had an upper respiratory infection which I think moved into my chest today. I started profusely sweating through my clothes at random times for the past four days, short-winded, sleep and breathe easier sitting up, constant ringing in both ears.

One month ago, I was doing intense circuits with my trainer three days a week and cardio 3 to 4 days a week. Now I cannot make it through even 30 minutes workout without feeling like I am going to pass out. Who should I see next? All the doctors seem so concerned especially about my blood pressure and heart rate, but no one has ordered an EKG and I had to ask for blood pressure medication. The urgent care doctor, nurse were very concerned and provided a list of the cardiologist. I have no idea what to do or who I should go see.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I went through your query and all your photos and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me first list out your problems. Non-healing sores. Blood pressure is not coming under control and high heart rate. Respiratory tract infection, sweating and breathing difficulty.

First of all, you did not mention why are you taking Amphetamine salts, because most of your problems like high blood pressure, fast heart rate, ringing sound in ears, sweating could be due to side effects of Amphetamine. So if it could be stopped then most of your problems shall come down. So it is essential for me to know why you are taking Amphetamine.

For respiratory tract infection, you need to be tested more with tests like chest X-ray, Throat swab culture sensitivity, sputum culture sensitivity. Uncontrolled respiratory infection can explain your breathing difficulty and loss of stamina. So if properly treated for respiratory infection your breathing issues can also come down. But in addition, I would recommend getting a 2D echo scan done.

Coming to your non-healing sores again it could be because of Amphetamine. But other causes are diabetes, vasculitis, and bacterial infections. But before investigating for these I recommend stopping Amphetamines for 2 to 3 weeks and see what happens.

| 

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full »

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now