Q. When I am in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. What is it?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Sometimes when I concentrate in a silent room, I can hear a low sound from my ears. I went for a checkup, and there was nothing wrong in my ear. The doctor told me that the sound occurred because of hair cells and said to me that it is normal. What is hair cells? Is it normal to notice it? Could it be a sound of normal blood flow near the ears?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hair cells are hearing cells inside the inner ears provided with cilia, and when vibrated, it stimulates auditory impulses. Yes, these cells have a unique sound, and it will not be audible to us. It needs a high technology device to pick it. Tinnitus has a lot of causes. First, you need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry. Show me the results, and then we can diagnose the cause.

| 

I do not have the results now. But the results were fine.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The last investigation is MRI of the brain. Even if the cause is simple, we have to diagnose it. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) can detect abnormal blood circulation, masses, and any soft tissue disturbances. Our ears cannot hear normal blood circulation. If the tinnitus is continuous, the cause is mostly neurological. If the tinnitus is pulsating, then the reason is primarily vascular.

|