Q. I have trouble in uttering certain words. How do I overcome this?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

I have a difficulty in pronouncing words that start with a vowel, for example, 'experience' or 'academic'. Whether the word is in the starting or the middle of the sentence, there is always a difficulty. It has been around two and a half years since the problem began. I have to take a momentary pause and thrust it out forcefully. There is an unusual feeling in my chest too when I force myself to speak such words. The special aspect of this problem is that there is no problem when I practice saying these words in my room. But, when I speak to others, it gets revived. I need you to suggest some speech drills, breathing exercise, or special precautions, so as to help me get over this probelm.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

• You can try to practice the stomach breathing techniques.
  • Try pronouncing each and every vowel in an exaggerated way. For example, continuously say 'Aaaaaaa' for 15 seconds and so on for each vowel sound, you have trouble speaking.
  • I suggest you consult a speech therapist in person.

For further queries consult a speech therapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/speech-therapist

| 

Apart from surgery, how can spasmodic dysphonia be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper ...  Read Full »

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Will I recover from vocal cord paralysis eventually?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had vocal paralysis over four months now from a fist fight from strikes to my throat. One doctor says it will take a year and another told me some people never recover. Will I eventually recover because I cannot speak well and it is making everything harder? Voice is raspy and br...  Read Full »

Ask a Speech Therapist Now