Q. I have trouble in uttering certain words. How do I overcome this?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Aug 15, 2017

I have a difficulty in pronouncing words that start with a vowel, for example, 'experience' or 'academic'. Whether the word is in the starting or the middle of the sentence, there is always a difficulty. It has been around two and a half years since the problem began. I have to take a momentary pause and thrust it out forcefully. There is an unusual feeling in my chest too when I force myself to speak such words. The special aspect of this problem is that there is no problem when I practice saying these words in my room. But, when I speak to others, it gets revived. I need you to suggest some speech drills, breathing exercise, or special precautions, so as to help me get over this probelm.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

• You can try to practice the stomach breathing techniques.
  • Try pronouncing each and every vowel in an exaggerated way. For example, continuously say 'Aaaaaaa' for 15 seconds and so on for each vowel sound, you have trouble speaking.
  • I suggest you consult a speech therapist in person.

For further queries consult a speech therapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/speech-therapist

Apart from surgery, how can spasmodic dysphonia be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spasmodic dysphonia is one of the difficult conditions to treat and patient motivation is most important. Speech therapy is tried always and some benefit is there. Botox injection in spastic muscle will give best results, but speech therapy has to be followed. Botox ha...  Read Full

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Soft cleft palate means a submucus cleft of the soft palate. That means a midline defect of the muscles, which failed to completely join at the correct positions during development. But, the bony structure is sound. Many times speech problems are associated with the same....  Read Full

Will I recover from vocal cord paralysis eventually?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had vocal paralysis over four months now from a fist fight from strikes to my throat. One doctor says it will take a year and another told me some people never recover. Will I eventually recover because I cannot speak well and it is making everything harder? Voice is raspy and br...  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are having unilateral vocal cord palsy. As sufficient time had passed but need not worry. You should consult a good speech therapist and try a full course of speech therapy. You may get relief but if no satisfactory result comes then final...  Read Full

Ask a Speech Therapist Now