Spondyloarthropathy

Kindly suggest the reason for my back pain after going through my MRI reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried male. I have back pain problem (stiffness) for more than three years, and everyone gives the feedback that my posture was not proper while walking. Two years before I consulted a doctor. He suspected ankylosing spondylitis, but HLA-B27 was negative. By seei...  Read Full »

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like spondyloarthropathy and right now no surgery is required. You do routine workup like complete blood picture, CRP (C-reactive protein), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), RA factor (rheumatoid arthritis factor) and anti-CCP antibody (anti-cyclic citrullina...  Read Full »

Does my scan report suggest the cause of my low back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not remember any spine trauma. I do have morning stiffness of greater than one hour with will become better with movement. I have this issue for the past seven years. My HLA-B27 is positive. Am I suffering from inflammatory spondyloarthropathy or ankylosing spondylitis? I have attac...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The SI joints show minimal linear hyperintensity on STIR (short TI inversion recovery) sequence (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is mild edema and not the usual findings which are seen in inflammatory spondyloarthropathy. Probably, it is in the early s...  Read Full »

Can I take anti-TNF agent for knee swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I started to have neck pain on the left side below my left ear before a month. After nine days, I started to have pain in the left knee and I used a crepe bandage over it to get some relief. But my knee started to have swelling. I consulted a rheumatologist and he told me that I have wat...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have these symptoms due to spondyloarthropathy. Spondyloarthropathy is a type of arthritis that involves the spine, large joints like hips, knees, and ankles. The treatment, which you are receiving, is according to the treatment protocol. You have not mentioned what...  Read Full »

Is Infliximab a safe pregnancy drug?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. I am currently working in a hospital. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic spondyloarthropathy six years back. I had severe pain in the right SI joint. Currently, I am not taking medicines except NSAIDs. My MRI was done and it showed MRI joint inflammation. I was advis...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Infliximab is a pregnancy category B drug that is it has not shown till now any birth defects in babies in trials. So, it can be used if required. I would not recommend SI joint (sacroiliac joint) radiofrequency at this stage. I would recommend yo...  Read Full »

What are the causes of low back pain and joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. I had an accident before 10 years. At that time, my knee x-ray was done and I was reported to have osteoarthritis. I have been suffering from pain for few years. I have lower back pain and pain in some of the joints. For the past few weeks, I have pain in my lef...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivasa Chennareddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

Why do I have persistent pain in the right lower back?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an injury in the left SI joint two years ago. Because of it, I am lying, walking and sitting only on my right side. Now left side is fine, but I have developed tingling and burning pain in the right lower back. My MRI, x-ray of spine and SI joints are normal. Blood tests for ankylos...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned injury to your left SI joint (sacroiliac joint) two years ago which is fine right now. But, you have not mentioned the exact nature of the injury and treatment received for it. Also, your main problem right now is pain in the lower back region mainly to...  Read Full »

I have pain and numbness in hands and feet due to SPA. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from SPA rheumatism and the doctor has prescribed Salazopyrin, Sulfasalazine for more than 10 years. I am not taking it continuously. Now, these days, I have pain in my hand, wrist, and my feet also have numbness.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are suffering from spondyloarthropathy. However, small joint involvement like hand and feet joints are rare in SPA. You should restart Sulfasalazine 1 g morning, evening and do a C-reactive protein and ESR and preferably take Naproxin 50...  Read Full »

I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do match spondyloarthropathy. It is a sort of arthritis, usually common in males but 10% of the females can get affected. The severity is not so much in women, though. Secondly, painkillers (I am not sure which you are taking) are a good drug to stop the d...  Read Full »

I am having pain in spine, upper back and numbness in fingers. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the spine and upper back, light knee pain and lot of numbness in fingers. I have arthritis condition for nearly two years. Had initial knee injury in ligaments through bed corner hit. Had once the high pain in the knee subsided thereafter. The condition is mainly b...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have mentioned are that of neuropathy especially numbness and you also have a mechanical backache. If you can buy use following medicine, but with the consent of your specialist doctor: Tablet Etoshine MR (Etoricoxib)after lunch. Tablet Revlin M...  Read Full »

How can arthritis be confirmed?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly confirm if I am arthritic from the available reports.  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Could you provide me with some of your symptoms? I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your inflammation markers are very high (erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein). So, it does indicate either there is ...  Read Full »