Q. My mother had slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says it is spondylolisthesis. Please provide an orthopaedic review.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

My mother, aged 55 years, has slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says spondylolisthesis L4/5 and L3/S1 grade with reduced L5/S1 disc spaces and compression fracture D11 vertebra.

Please help.

#

I can see that your mother needs an urgent orthopedic review if you already have not had one from your description. Please take it seriously. She will need an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to know about the status of the spinal cord and may even need a CT (computed tomography) to look at the bones. It looks like she will need some stabilizing of her spine for pain relief and long-term symptomatic improvement. Also, she will need a DEXA (dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry) scan to rule out osteoporosis.

|