Q. My mother had slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says it is spondylolisthesis. Please provide an orthopaedic review.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Hello Doctor,

My mother age 55 years, has slipped and hurt her back. X-ray says it is spondylolisthesis L4/5 & L3/S1 grade with reduced l5/S1 disc spaces and compression fracture d11 vertebra.

Please help.

Do you have a question on Spondylolisthesis or Osteoporosis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Atul Prakash

MBBS., MS ORTH., DNB ORTH., MNAMS., FRCS
Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health

• From your description, I can see that your mother needs an urgent Orthopaedic review if you already have not had one. Please take it seriously.
  • She will need an MRI to know about the status of the spinal cord and may even need a CT to look at the bones.
  • It looks like she will need some stabilising of her spine for pain relief and for long term symptomatic improvement.
  • Also she will need a DEXA SCAN too to rule out osteoporosis.

Consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/search/online-doctors-directory/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Also Read Answers From: Spondylolisthesis Osteoporosis

Is my thyroid profile normal? Kindly let me know.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 58-year-old female with a history of hysterectomy twenty years before. Now, I have osteoporosis and I do not want to take a medicine after viewing all the side effects. I am having difficulty in losing weight despite many diets. After searching on the web, I decid...  Read Full »
Dr. Roli Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your thyroid profile is absolutely normal. Your other hormones show postmenopausal status which is normal at your age. For osteoporosis, you should take calcium and vitamin D which you are already taking. You should also start with hormone therapy for th...  Read Full »

Is Prednicort a good medicine for arthritis pain?
Query: Hello doctor,I want an opinion for my mother. My mother has been feeling arthritis pain since last few years. Recently, I have read somewhere about a medicine name Prednicort (5 mg) which is specially used for asthma disease. But, I have read that this medicine is also helpful for arthritis pain. Is...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Prednicort (Prednisolone) is a steroid which is good as an anti-inflammatory and painkiller in arthritis but has very serious adverse effects in the long term such as osteoporosis, gastritis, hypertension, and elevated blood sugar levels. Is she diagnosed with rheum...  Read Full »

Is it safe for a 60 year old to use Terifrac for osteoporosis?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother is 60 years old. She is being treated for osteoporosis currently for which we are already consulting a specialist. I am attaching few other reports towards which would request you to evaluate the same and let me know your interpretation and concerns and treatments if any. For ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached reports thoroughly (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is my comment: Fortunately, there are no autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis or SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) as both ANA and anti-CCP are negative. Unfortunate...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now