Q. I jammed my finger two months ago and not able to bend it even after putting braces. Why?

Dr. Saseendar S

I jammed my finger two months ago while playing flag football. I cannot bend the tip of my ring finger even after putting it in braces and constantly icing it. It is still swollen, the amount of swelling went down very little since the time of injury.

#

I understand you had direct injury to your ring finger two months back, and that you are not able to bend your finger even after two months. However, I need you to answer a few questions, So I can help you.

What is your age? Was an x-ray taken for your finger? Are you able to bend your finger with the help of your other hand? In other words, your inability to bend your finger is due to weakness or due to stiffness? How long did you use your brace? Let me know so I can help you out.

I am a 21-year-old male. I have not yet got an x-ray. I am able to bend the finger without any pain or stiffness, 90% of the way with my other hand and other fingers. When trying to bend it all the way in with my other finger or hand I feel like I cannot bend it because it is stiff and has only minimal pain. I taped and had a brace on for two weeks (but it was very on and off). I have attached the pictures. One that just shows the finger, one that shows how much I can bend without any help, one with help, and one with my whole hand. Also, the area right under the finger (in the hand) feels very tender as well.

#

Thank you for your detailed answers and pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From your history and pictures, the injury appears to be something called Jersey's finger, which is an injury to the tendon which is essential to effect bending of the tip of your finger in addition to mild stiffness. This is caused either by a rupture of the tendon or due to a small fracture of the bone where the tendon attaches.

Either way, the diagnosis can be confirmed after an x-ray to study the bone. Do let me know if you can get back to me with x-rays (AP-anteroposterior and lateral views of the ring finger).

Splinting during the post-injury period should have been absolute. Splinting the finger any more is not going to help further. I would advise just physiotherapy until the x-ray can be obtained.

A further decision on possible surgical treatment would depend on the x-ray findings and your functional, cosmetic demands.

|