Q. Can hip labral tear and sports hernia both be addressed in the same surgery?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a right side hip labral tear and a probable sports hernia on the same side. Can both these issues be addressed in the same surgery, or do they have to be addressed in separate surgeries?

#

It can be tackled in the same anesthesia and surgery. Hip labral repairs or excision is done arthroscopically and after that, the surgery for sports hernia can be done either open or endoscopically. So, it can be done in the same sitting of anesthesia.

Before the surgery, the clinician should confirm the diagnosis of sports hernia. Has the MRI scan been done?

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report/image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have no MRI scan for sports hernia yet. MRI confirmed labral tear nine months back. I had a cortisone shot for the hip yesterday to see where the pain is coming from. I am to follow up with my surgeon in two to four weeks.

#

Yes, Cortisone shot for the hip is the right thing to do. It will detect the source of pain.

If your pain is still not reduced, then getting an MRI done will help for the pubic pain. But yes, I think your surgeon is doing the right thing. So, carry on with the treatment.

|