Q. I am having light brown spotting. Why?

Dr. Monika Meena

Age: 21 years, Female. I started my period a month back (24 June). I currently do not know the length of my period but it varies from 24-29 days, my last period was 24 days. According to my period tracking apps my ovulation day is the 30th of June (if it’s going by the 24 days length). I started spotting light pink blood on the 30th (only there when I wipe) and from that I have been spotting light brown blood. What could cause this? I had sex on the 26,27 of June and the 2nd of July.

#

Considering your cycle duration and ovulatory periods, the time when you had contact, there are a few possibilities of the etiology of bleeding. The first one is that you might be having some ulcer or erosion out there in vagina or cervix which got further ulcerated when you had intercourse leading to painful/ painless spotting. If it is old altered blood, and it is coming out later, it will be brown in color.

The second possibility is that you may have some infection right down there. You might have acquired from your male counterpart if he has some signs and symptoms for the same. Other etiology and rather a rare one, happens in 5-10 percent is that of ovulation bleeding. It happens once your egg is released from the ovary and due to some hormonal changes (due to high LH or Progesterone), it may lead to spotting or bleeding which resolves in a few days time. The window when you are ovulating is the most fertile period, making the cervix secrete a thick mucous that might further hold onto the blood little longer over there and ultimately expel altered brown blood.

One more etiology for spotting could be implantation bleed, which is unlikely because it usually occurs few days after ovulation when if the embryo is formed, it gets implanted on your uterine wall, leading to spotting/ bleeding in a few.

| 

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »

Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after ...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to heal my tongue ulcer.

Query: Hi doctor, I have one white patch in my mouth. It is exactly in the front part of my tongue and it affects my daily life strongly. I am really uncomfortable and my mouth has slobbered all the time. I used to have this in the past, but I did not have for more than a year. Sometimes, it is totally whi...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»