Q. Is it possible to cure eye focus problem in a child?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Published on Oct 22, 2019

I want to know if it is possible to correct the eyes of a child that does not focus properly. The condition is when the child is looking straight, the eyes appear as if it is looking elsewhere.

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Your child has squint eyes. This can be due to multiple causes.

1. Refractive error or glass number.

2. Congenital squint due to neurological issues.

3. Retinal or optic nerve pathology.

Kindly get your child evaluated from a pediatric ophthalmologist. Initially, they will prescribe glasses and then observe. Occasionally patching therapy may be recommended.

If the eyes fail to align after a few months of therapy and after ruling out all treatable causes of squint, surgical correction of squint may be undertaken if needed and desired by parents.

It will help if you post a picture of the squint so better guidance can be provided.

After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hour...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This squint is sensory esotropia, which means that due to some cause your retina detached leaving you with no vision in that eye and at that early age brain failed to keep both eyes straight leaving to squint. Success rate of squint surgery is quite high (90%). Even afte...  Read Full

Can my diplopia be a sign of MS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old female. Can you please explain to me the clinical presentation of decompensated phoria? I have had diplopia for over two years now, binocular, horizontal, worse on distant gaze. I have had an MRI as well, but no lesions found in my brain stem or other areas. Only a f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diplopia for distance vision is more common in neurological conditions. If you do not have any neurological problems (ruled out by MRI), other problems can be considered. In your case, as you have high myopia, it can be due to decompensated tropia (phoria). In myopia, t...  Read Full

Exotropia squint in the right eye, Is LASIK and squint surgery Recommended?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an exotropia squint in my right eye from the last 10 to 12 years. Presently I have a very low vision in that eye and near and far vision is blurry. I consulted an ophthalmologist and he recommended a LASIK surgery and after that a squint correction surgery a month later. Should...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can proceed with the LASIK surgery and the squint correction as advised but please keep the following in mind: Your right eye is amblyopic (lazy eye). So, the vision even after a LA...  Read Full