Q. I am suffering from dental fluorosis. Will activated-charcoal powder or toothpaste help?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I am 18 years old. I am suffering from dental fluorosis. The stains are present from my childhood and they are getting darker now especially on the front teeth. I consulted a doctor and he suggested a procedure that was very costly. I read that activated charcoal helps in removing toxins and stains from the teeth. I want your help. Is it good to use activated charcoal powder or toothpaste to remove the stains on the teeth?

#

I went through the query. Please upload an image of your teeth. After seeing it, I can help you to guide you further. Fluorosis occurs due to excess fluoride deposition. Children of eight years and below are at risk as it occurs while having the development of permanent teeth. Treatment lies on the extent of deposition. As you are young, I assure you that I can guide you as much as possible. If it is mild to moderate, then it does not require any costly treatment. I can comment further only after seeing the image. So kindly upload the image of your teeth to help you. You can use Snowdent toothpaste (Sodium monofluorophosphate with Calcium peroxide) or Colgate visible white toothpaste (Sorbitol with Sodium fluoride) for now.

|