Speech Problem

Speech problems are disorders that affect the way a person creates different voices to form words. Stammering or shuttering is the most common type of speech problem. The other types include apraxia, which is caused due to brain damage, and dysarthria is when the weakness of muscles in the mouth and face cause speech problems.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

After puberty, I feel hard to speak in a normal tone. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try qu...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your nose is blocked then you may have nasal polyps or some nasopharyngeal mass like adenoid or may have deviated nasal septum. For that, an endoscopy or CT scan is required. It may alter the voice. After ruling out these possibilities, you can consult a speec...  Read Full »

What causes vertigo and sudden loss in speech?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 32-years-old with no medical illness. She suddenly experienced vertigo six days before, followed by aphasia and right-sided weakness. She was immediately taken to the emergency department for a stroke workup and stroke code. They did a head and neck CT and a brain MRI. The re...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully read your questions and would agree with your doctor on the conclusion of migraine. Let me explain as follows: The brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) has excluded any possible stroke, which would cause a permanent disability (attachments removed t...  Read Full »

After wearing dental veneers, I have lisping. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently got six porcelain veneers across my top front teeth, and now I have a lot of difficulty in my speech. I have a slurring sound while saying 's' and 't' in particular. I always had a bit of a lisp, but now it is so much worse that I am embarrassed to talk at all because I sound ...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have a lisping problem, then it can be due to the thick edges of the veneers, and also you need proper training to speak properly. It takes some time for the muscles of lips, cheeks, and tongue to coordinate with the veneers and adjust accordingly so that you ca...  Read Full »

How long will PCS last after an assault to the head?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20-year-old. I suffered an assault to my head nine months back and have not felt myself since that. I am still having some speech problems and other symptoms, as noted down below. I have been reading a lot online about this post-concussion syndrome as these symptoms are similar t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Speech disorders are a known symptom of post-concussion syndrome. But I would recommend performing a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to exclude any possible brain damage. I would also recommend checking thyroid hormone levels for possible imbalances. If all th...  Read Full »

My 11-year-old son loses weight suddenly. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 11 year old son who weighs 25 kg and is 138 cm tall. Everyone feels that something is wrong with him, as he is losing weight from the past three years, and it is severe for the last year. He is a slow eater and eats for 40 minutes to an hour, even small meal. We keep telling ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details that you have provided and the blood test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). His problems are being underweight, fussy eater, constipation, and speech articulation problem. The blood tests show only vitamin D def...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for Parkinson's disease with loss of balance?

Query: Hello doctor, My father in law is suffering from Parkinson's disease for the past year. We continue taking treatments, but the condition worsens day by day. Now he completely lost his balance, cannot walk alone, cannot do daily work and require assistance, cannot control urinating in the night, and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear your FIL‘s symptoms. I read all the reports and the MRI report and the prescription which the doctor wrote (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Considering all the number of falls that he had in a year, it does not seem to be ...  Read Full »

Do head injuries cause speech problems?

Query: Hi doctor,I think I might be suffering from post-concussion syndrome. I was punched quite aggressively on the left side of my head seven months before and have never felt the same since. My symptoms are tension headaches, dizziness, speech problems, and trouble thinking and concentration. I do not f...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some further details about your symptoms. 1. What kind of injury or hitting happened on your left side of the head? 2. Did you become unconscious after the incident? 3. Had you developed vomiting or weakness of any side limbs after the injury? ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 3-year-old not to communicate through complete sentences?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a 3-year-old daughter. She is 11.5 kg in weight and 89 cm in height. She can play, run and tell entire rhymes, but she cannot form her language to communicate. She often repeats the whole statement or questions. She can follow instructions like "bring that ball" or "give me the toy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a prevalent query, and the answer is not simple. I have seen several children with this complaint, and most of them acquire normal speech as they grow. These children primarily interact with parents by hand signs. A more straightforward thing I say to parents is...  Read Full »

Why does my 2.4 years old son only says a few words clearly?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is two years four months old and he is not talking as expected. He speaks few words but it is not clear. He speaks mummy and daddy clearly. If he does not like something, he says no. I am concerned. He is not speaking basic words and sometimes, he just looks at people talking in f...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are worried about the delay in speech. It is good to hear that he is saying single words clearly and he is using two-word phrases. Please mention whether you have checked his ears and hearing are normal. Please mention whether his motor development and social de...  Read Full »

Why is the uvula towards the left side after cleft palate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 2 years 3 months old. She had a soft cleft palate. The doctor operated her and closed the soft cleft palate. Now, we can see that her uvula is a little bit on the left side in the mouth and not at the center. We are worried about this. She already went with this surgery in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having uvula at one side is not at all a big issue. But, you should know a few things. Children with cleft lip or palate are usually operated at a very small age, usually at six months is the first surgery done, and this depends on the extent of deformity child has. All ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.