Q. Is there any chance of oral HPV transmission via kissing?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Four months ago, I had an encounter with a CSW. During that time, I kissed her mouth, boobs, and the outer lips of the vagina (not vagina). I had taken tests for HIV, HBsAg, HSV, after three months and all those came negative. During that time, I had taken a normal urine test for UTI. In that report, the pus cell values are 3 to 6.

My questions are:

1. I had not taken any separate test for gonorrhea, chlamydia, or trichomonas. May I take that normal urine test report (whose pus cell values were 3 to 6) as conclusive because in a forum, I have read that pus cell values of more than 10 is only considered as STD. Or, do I have to take a separate test for those?
  2. Is there any chance of oral HPV transmission by kissing the lips (mouth), and the outer covering of vagina. If so, is any blood test available for testing oral HPV?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

You said you did your HIV test three months after sexual exposure. So, it is very unlikely that you got infected. Secondly, the likelihood of getting gonorrhea and other infections which you mentioned are very unlikely after three months. If you had developed gonorrhea, there would be discharge or bumps over the penis within one month.

About oral HPV, if your sexual partner had this infection, then there is a possibility of transmission, but that too is very unlikely. If you had developed, you would have symptoms by now. There would be at least minute warts that would have appeared over the oral cavity or genitalia.

So, do not get tensed. Be cool. Take care not to have encounters with unknown persons and if you do, I suggest using adequate protection in the form of condoms.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

|