Q. Is there any chance of oral HPV transmission via kissing?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar
Published on Mar 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2019

Four months ago, I had an encounter with a CSW. During that time, I kissed her mouth, boobs, and the outer lips of the vagina (not vagina). I had taken tests for HIV, HBsAg, HSV, after three months and all those came negative. During that time, I had taken a normal urine test for UTI. In that report, the pus cell values are 3 to 6.

My questions are:

1. I had not taken any separate test for gonorrhea, chlamydia, or trichomonas. May I take that normal urine test report (whose pus cell values were 3 to 6) as conclusive because in a forum, I have read that pus cell values of more than 10 is only considered as STD. Or, do I have to take a separate test for those?
  2. Is there any chance of oral HPV transmission by kissing the lips (mouth), and the outer covering of vagina. If so, is any blood test available for testing oral HPV?

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

You said you did your HIV test three months after sexual exposure. So, it is very unlikely that you got infected. Secondly, the likelihood of getting gonorrhea and other infections which you mentioned are very unlikely after three months. If you had developed gonorrhea, there would be discharge or bumps over the penis within one month.

About oral HPV, if your sexual partner had this infection, then there is a possibility of transmission, but that too is very unlikely. If you had developed, you would have symptoms by now. There would be at least minute warts that would have appeared over the oral cavity or genitalia.

So, do not get tensed. Be cool. Take care not to have encounters with unknown persons and if you do, I suggest using adequate protection in the form of condoms.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condom...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now