Q. My STD report says I have antibodies for herpes type 1. Am I infected with herpes?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

I made an STD test, and the doctor said that I have antibodies for herpes type 1 but not infected with the virus, exposed. Does this mean I am infected, and will these antibodies transferred to my partner or will disappear with time? I have attached the report. For mycoplasma, it is already treated.

Do you have a question on Std or Herpes 1?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Raveendran Sr

MBBS., MD., FSM
Andrology Diabetology Sexology

The report says you have already infected with herpes. Did you have any unprotected sex with anyone? There are chances you can have an outbreak - symptoms of herpes. During the outbreak, if you have sexual contact, you can infect your partner. Once herpes is positive, it is always positive.

I did not have any sexual contact recently, but if you look in the first page of the report, it says herpes 1 and 2 is not detected antibodies is there which means I have exposed, but there is an infection. Please confirm that even the lab doctor is saying the same.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

MBBS., MD., FSM
Andrology Diabetology Sexology

IgG antibodies will be positive only after long time exposure. If you have type 1 HSV IgG positive means, it can be an oral contact infection (partner can be without symptoms). But if you look in the first page of the report says herpes 1 and two not detected just antibodies is there, which means I have been exposed, but there is an infection. It says disease caused long back, yes you are right antibodies means you had an exposure long back, do not mean you have an infection.

If HSV 1 and 2 positive means you have infection chances of symptoms and you can spread infection. Please confirm that even the lab doctor is saying the same. Antibodies are cells produced for a particular disease and stay life long to protect you from the same infection again. Example like flu vaccine after shot of flu vaccine you will have antibodies positive for flu (do not mean you have flu).

I am getting married after two months, so that means I am not infected now. And it will be fine if I have a healthy relationship with my wife or these antibodies might cause infection to her as well? Now I am having lots of doubts, and I am scared if my partner might be hurt. As per your explanation, I have no infection. Also, I have no symptoms, and I am to re-do after a month, there is also the possibility to have false-positive antibodies.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

MBBS., MD., FSM
Andrology Diabetology Sexology

You cannot infect your partner with antibodies of HSV. Yes, you are right, you can check after a month if you want (I do not think it is necessary).

I was masturbating and noticed soreness under head of penis. What is it?
Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday I was doing my thing (masturbating) and I noticed a little soreness under the head of penis. I have been going at it probably twice a day lately. I am just a little concerned that it may be herpes. But I have not been sexually active for a very long time. Also, I have had two n...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your case in detail. Well in short as you know there are two possibilities: 1. Friction erosion. 2. It could be herpes infection. Herpes 2 usually on genitalia and herpes 1 on lips. As now there is no limitation in having herpes 1 on genitalia du...  Read Full

Can herpes infection change into gonorrhea?
Query: Hello doctor,I recently was tested during my last gynecologist appointment that I was positive for gonorrhea and have since got treated. Now I have realized that my previous sexual partner gave me gonorrhea. He had herpes 1 and did not test positive for gonorrhea. My sexual partner before that have ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. First, you need to understand that any infection is transmitted as it is. No infection can be transferred as another infection. So answer to your first question is no it is not possible for herpes 1 infection to be transferred as gonorr...  Read Full

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?
Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now