Q. I have loose motions and stomach cramps despite medications and endoscopy. Please help.

Dr. Naveed Ahmed Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 05, 2021

I have uneasiness in my lower left side of my belly for a year. I consulted several doctors and took many medications and done an endoscopy. But my problems persist still now. Initially, the doctor told me that I have a normal infection of the gut and it gets cured within a few months of taking medication. Nothing helped me and so I consulted another doctor. But after taking medicines, I have continuous loose motions and stomach cramps. I am worried. Please help me.

#

I understand your concern. I have seen many patients with similar pain. According to your treatment history, you have taken treatment for colitis or infection of the bowel. It is the common diagnosis observed and it subsides after taking antibiotics. As it is chronic in your case, I suggest you do further investigations with stool FOB (fecal occult blood) and stool for ova test. If both of them are inconsistent, then you can think about irritable bowel syndrome. I suggest you modify your diet and avoid foods causing food allergies. Avoid taking spicy food and red meat. I suggest you take medication twice a day for a week. Please mention whether you have done any previous surgeries. Have a follow-up with your test reports.

|