Q. I get yellow stool and diarrhea with fatty foods and rib pain. Is gallbladder removal necessary?

Answered by
Dr. Lalit Kumar Bansal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 20-year-old female. I have had bad stomach issues since February. It started with yellow stool, and diarrhea when eating fatty foods. I have pain on and around my right rib cage and in the same spot in my back near my shoulder blade. I have done an HIDA scan and my EF was 68%. CT, ultrasound and blood work was normal. My doctor wants to remove my gallbladder anyway because he says I seem to be symptomatic without test evidence. Have you ever heard of this before? Is this possible?



Welcome to

I will definitely help you. As per your history and investigation report your diagnosis maybe some kind of hepatitis in which there is a yellow color of stool and urine without any evidence of any abnormalities in USG and CT scan.

If USG (ultrasound) is normal and there is no evidence of gallstones then no need to remove gall bladder as it is a very sensitive investigation for gallstones. I will advise you to do hepatitis A, B, C, and hepatitis E marker tests for confirmation of diagnosis. Please attach all investigation reports for better comments about your illness.

I need your liver function test also. I am advising treatment for you please start as soon as possible. Avoid fatty and spicy diet. Drink plenty of water.

Investigations to be done:

Hepatitis A, B, C and E antigen. LFT (liver function test).

Treatment plan:

Tablet Udiliv 300 mg BD for 15 days, Pantoprazole 40 mg OD for 15 days.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

.. seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty ch...   Read full

Even after taking several treatments for abdominal pain and stool problem, there is no relief. Why?

Take high fiber diet ... Dietary changes are very much helpful like fibers (found in beans, fruits, oats, whole-grain products, and vegetables ... Rifaximin, Alosetron, and ...   Read full

Hepatitis C - Common Questions Answered

Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver ... The liver serves many functions in the body including detoxification, digestion, protection against infection, protein and hormone production, and ma...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.