Q. I am under a lot of stress, so my BP, blood glucose level, and cholesterol are high. Kindly help me.

Dr. Ankush Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am 49-year-old. I was assuming healthy until now. I am under severe stress because of massive business losses and recently got a full test conducted and report enclosed. I was diagnosed last time as having mild hypertension. I was suggested Atenolol 25. Kindly give your opinion.

#

According to your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), blood sugar, cholesterol, hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) very high, and Iron and Vitamin D are low.

Start daily exercise. Avoid oily, fried, and outside food. Follow a strict diet. Reduce weight.

I suggest you start following tablets:

1) Tablet Glycomet GP1 (Glimepiride and Metformin), one tablet morning and one tablet evening after food.

2) Capsule Ecosprin - AV 10 (Atorvastatin and Aspirin), once daily.

3) Capsule Becadexamin (Vitamin D), once daily.

Repeat tests after one month and report back. I hope this was helpful.

I have started your recommendations. I have stomach upset almost every day since I started the medicines. Is something wrong, or do you want to suggest me? I feel not satisfied even after three to four times per day. It is very uncomfortable. Kindly help me.

#

I suggest you take only one Glycomet GP1 tablet in a day. Stop Bexadexamin for few days. Start once the stomach is fine. You can continue Ecosprin AV.

I hope this was helpful.

For the last four months, I have been following these regimens:

1) Atenolol 25 mg

2) Glycomet GP1

3) Ecosprin - AV 10

4) Becadexamin

5) Diet control and striving further.

Exercise also started recently, brisk walking. I am beginning to understand the effects of diet, time, discipline, and making adjustments. Medication is being taken seriously. I have started measuring my glucose levels and BP level from this week onwards every day.

I believe the medication for diabetes needs to be made stronger. I will get a new report next week, but I was wondering if you would think about it. My face feels bloated and fluffy of late, and I feel the eyelids are slightly swollen. I can see and feel normal, but this new feeling is worrisome. Stress has not reduced, and I am working to improve on it. That is the biggest contributing factor. Loss of 50 crores is not easy to take. I am positive and have great willpower. Do let me know if you can suggest better medication for me for diabetes. Kindly help me.

#

You are doing well. Keep doing daily exercise and taking a strict diet. As far as medications are concerned, I suggest you start Glycomet GP2 in the morning and Glycomet 500 (Metformin) at night for diabetes. Keep monitoring blood sugar regularly and keep me updated.

I hope this was helpful.

My numbers are showing good control now. Especially BP is hovering between 70 and 120 most parts of the day. I am measuring using a watch. Do you think I should still continue this Atenolol 25 mg and Ecosprin - AV 10? I am continuing the sugar medicines you have prescribed and the diet program. Walking also started. I have a new problem with my erections not staying. Is this related to medicines? Kindly give your opinion.

#

I would suggest you continue BP (blood pressure) medication and a strict diet, and daily exercise. If you have erection issues, change Atenolol to Amlodipine 5 mg once daily and continue Ecosprin AV. Continue sugar medicines. Stress and diabetes can also cause erection problems.

Repeat FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) after one month and report back.

I hope this was helpful.

|