Q. How to get rid of a stye?

I went to bed about a week ago and woke up and saw that I developed some type of a stye in the eye. But I am not very sure. I do not know what it is. It is still about the same size. What to do?

#

You have not mentioned the site of the lesion. Probably it is present on the inner side of the eyelid. And based on your details, the Differential diagnosis are:

1. Stye.
  2. Chalazion.
  3. Nonspecific blepharitis.

Stye:- So basically, it could be a superficial bacterial infection in the eyelid. Usually, a stye like lesion heals in a week without any specific treatment, and pain is present in stye.

Chalazion:- In chalazion, pain is not present and it can remain for more than a week.

So, you should consult a nearby ophthalmologist for examination of the lesion. If it is stye or chalazion, then in the eyelid, a red lesion will be present. Mostly you will be given a topical antibiotic ointment along with topical antibiotic drops.

I suggest you try doing the following:

1. A warm compress can be applied to the eye for three to four times a day, for better drainage of such lesion and for soothing.
  2. Do not wear contact lenses for few days.
  3. When you travel, wear sunglasses.
  4. If the pain is more, then I suggest taking Ibuprofen.

With keeping all this in mind, consult a nearby ophthalmologist for examination. Hope your concern is solved. Take care.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now