Substance Abuse

The excessive and harmful misuse of prescription medicines, alcohol, tobacco products, illegal drugs, or substances, leading to physical dependence and altered mental state, is known as substance abuse or drug abuse. Alcohol abuse causes liver diseases, road traffic accidents, and psychological disorders. Substance abuse can disrupt social life. People tend to lose interest in their day-to-day activities, lose friends, are involved in fights, stop caring for themselves, and become lonely. Changes in personality and criminal activities also develop. Amphetamine, barbiturates, cocaine, marijuana, opioids, and benzodiazepines are often misused.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I believe that I have symptoms of MPD with low esteem and anxiety. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I believe that I have symptoms of MPD. Some are from my past and some are present. For examples, I see things in black and white, low self-esteem, feeling evil, substance abuse (weed and alcohol), feeling empty, not sure how to react to emotional or social situations and unhealthy relation...  Read Full »

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. Some of the symptoms you have mentioned suggest depression and anxiety. Low self-esteem, feeling low, etc., are classical depression symptoms. Hair pulling is one of the anxiety symptoms. Under unconscious anxiety, individuals develop a ...  Read Full »

Why do I have trouble in getting an orgasm?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been unable to achieve an orgasm lately. It started disappearing midway during sex with my husband. Now I just cannot get one at all. I have not been able to self-pleasure in years, and I have never been able to get an orgasm via oral sex. I have always had great sex with my hus...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You are probably suffering from female orgasmic disorder (FOD). Substance use can cause FOD. Certain medical conditions can also result in female sexual dysfunctions. Kindly get a blood panel done to rule out an organic cause. I suggest: Foll...  Read Full »

What are my chances of lung cancer due to smoking for three years?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old and turning 16 this month. I have been smoking marijuana and cigarettes for nearly three years or maybe less. I have been feeling pressure or a bubble like feeling in my left lung. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to thinking that I have cancer. It paranoids me. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Lung cancer at this age is rare. Also, three years is not a duration that will lead to cancer and exposure needs to be in decades. Also, you already underwent investigation and found nothing. I think you should not be worried at this stage. Your symptoms are psycholo...  Read Full »

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This could be a sign of: Dehydration. Urinary tract infection. Excessive fatigue. Alcohol. Marijuana and other substances intoxication or withdrawal. Postictal state (seizure). Electrolyte disturbances. Others would also include infection of the central nervous syst...  Read Full »

I developed a few symptoms due to my long-term Gutka chewing habit. Can it be a cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been chewing Gutka for the past ten years. I cannot eat spicy food, and the skin is whitish yellow on both sides of my buccal mucosa. I have taken vitamin B complex capsules, and I use Hexidine mouth wash thrice a week. In addition, there are recurrent sores in the mouth after eati...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. It does not seem to be cancer but the condition is called oral submucous fibrosis, which can lead to cancer if not taken care of. So, I suggest you to follow the instructions mentioned below, 1. Stop chewing Gu...  Read Full »

I smoke marijuana daily. Is it safe for me to have a surgery under general anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having surgery soon (breast augmentation), which requires general anesthesia. My concern is that I smoke marijuana daily and have done for the past three years. I am 20 years old and have tried to quit, but it has not gone according to plan. I smoke quite a high amount each day. I had...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query and will surely help you. Marijuana leads to the weakening of lung parenchyma and the linings of the airways. Anesthetic agents will be required in low doses compared to normal persons. There is no significant or direct interaction. Please do deep b...  Read Full »

Will smoking weed for a long period cause premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I smoked weed for about four years and had masturbated for about five years. I recently quit everything, and I feel like I have a loss of libido and struggle in getting an erection and maintaining it, and have premature ejaculation. I have this problem for about five months. I have start...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern about your symptoms. You might have erectile dysfunction (ED). It can be due to the following reasons: 1) Depression. 2) Varicocele. 3) Fear of failure. Having one episode of ED once may make you feel you will end up with ED. ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of scary thoughts after visualizing what I saw in a scary movie?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, and I recently saw a scary movie, where a man used a turkey baster to insert semen into a woman's vagina. This scared me very much, and I remember one time I fell asleep on a couch in a study room. If someone did something like this to me while I was asleep, it would hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. It is normal to some extent to have scary thoughts after visualizing scary scenes in the movies or real life. The kind of idea which you are experiencing is known as intrusive thoughts and mostly very scary and distressful....  Read Full »

I hear an odd voice in me. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, I know it is something odd, but I have to ask. These days I am hearing something odd. I do not like hearing or to say I am being pissed by that. I am hearing a voice saying that your height will increase if you masturbate. I guess it as an odd hearing. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to assure you that around 5% of us experience such voices in our lifetime. The possibility is generally higher during teenage. I am not aware of your age. If you are a teenager, then this could be a n...  Read Full »

Please suggest some measures to handle ASPD.

Query: Hi doctor, I thought that I may have anti-social personality disorder behavior. I know that I seem to be different from others. But I do not know the term to describe my state until I read about it.   Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It is fine to have ASPD (antisocial personality disorder). There is nothing wrong with it. It is a type of nature and you need to accept it. You need to take proper care of it. You should keep control of your anger outburst and substance abuse. You should follow some li...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.