Q. What causes ankle swelling?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Nov 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2019

I am a 52 year old male. Every alternate day, I used to play tennis and swim for an hour. My weight is 100 kg and I am 5 feet 11 inches tall. All my blood reports are normal. I am taking a few medicines regularly, which includes Losar H, Amlopin 2.5, Rozavel 20, Glycomet SR 500. My average blood pressure is 135/85 and my sugar is 109. My water retention around ankles (inner side) is 6.1. Please explain the reason for ankle swelling.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

For your age of 52, you appear to be very active.

With all parameters, your BMI is on a higher side, and you have to lose some weight. It seems that you have been prescribed medications by your general physician for management of diabetes and hypertension.

There are many causes of swelling in the legs and associated regions like ankle, etc. The most common reason is posture, and many patients develop it when they stand for a long time. But as soon as they elevate their leg up, the swelling will subside. It is also a common manifestation of systemic pathologies like diabetes, cardiac causes, etc.

It can happen after infection or inflammation too. Sometimes heavy physical activity may also lead to swelling in your calf muscles and around ankle region.

But we have to look at medical causes as well. Chronic cardiac conditions can lead to swelling. Any pathology which leads to low protein in the body like deranged liver function tests, kidney function tests, etc., can also lead to swelling. Hypothyroidism can also lead to generalized swelling like appearance in the body.

So for accurate diagnosis, we need to clinically evaluate and get some appropriate tests done. It includes CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), serum electrolytes and thyroid profile.

Most of the conditions can be managed under the supervision of a good physician especially if there is no history of any injury which is also very unlikely to happen around both ankles simultaneously.

1. Postural.
2. Cardiac causes and hypertension.
3. Systemic pathology like diabetes.

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now