Q. My ear is swollen and blocked. Do I need to clear my ear for the medication to work better?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I have had swimmer's ear for about five days now. And I started taking an anti-inflammatory ear drop with a pain killer. On the second day, I felt my ear got a little swollen, and the ear way was blocked. I could not hear anything, and by the third day, I went to the pharmacy, and he gave me an antibiotic. I still get pain from time to time, and my ear is swollen and blocked. My current medications are Otipax ear drops, Cataflam, and Aclav.

Do I need to clear my ear for the medication to work better?

Kindly help.

#

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There are two possibilities in your case: recurrent fungal infection called otomycosis and recurrent infection of the hair follicle in the outer ear, a condition called otitis externa.

I suggest the following;

1) Take tablet Ciplox 750 mg (Ciprofloxacin) (500 + 250 mg) twice daily after food for one week. This is an antibiotic and can cause loose motions. If the loose motions get too severe, you can take probiotics twice daily for a week.

2) Take tablet Zerodol TH 8 mg (Aceclofenac and Thiocolchicoside) one tablet twice daily after food for one week.

3) Take tablet Ultracet (Paracetamol and Tramadol) twice daily for one week.

4) Take tablet Pan-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) in the morning before breakfast for one week.

5) Keep the ear dry; refrain from using earbuds.

6) You can use an antifungal ear drops combination containing Clotrimazole and Lidocaine, three drops thrice daily for five days.

In otitis externa, you will develop a very excruciating pain in the ear which does not resolve with any pain killer. This typically takes around three days for things to heal if this antibiotic has worked for you.

Ensure that if your symptoms did not reduce within the next few days, it is advisable to get your re-examined by an E.N.T specialist to evaluate and treat you properly.

As I said, there is nothing too serious out there, and you need not worry as things should be fine in a few days.

Please do take adequate care.

Warm regards.

|