Q. My mom is having a lot of pain because of swollen gums. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My mom is having a lot of trouble because of her swollen gums. Her swollen gums are getting worse. We cannot go to a doctor nearby because of the COVID-19. Her pre-molar and molar teeth, three in a sequence, are infected. They all are causing pain because of the cavity. She had to go for a filling of the tooth which is mainly acing right now. She is a kidney donor. She cannot even sleep as the pain is increasing.

She has completed two antibiotic courses. She is taking a medicine named as Synflex for pain reduction. Please help.

#

Hello, Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your Dentist ,

I went through your query and am deeply moved by the current condition of your Mom . She is in too much pain and I know the level of discomfort she is been through. As a Specialist I would like to help her.

Since she is a kidney donor so medications must be given that donot metabolise through kidney as she has renal insufficiency. Kindly upload an image of the 3 consecutive teeth to determine the status of management needed.

1. Cap Dalacin 300mg (Clindamycin 300mg) 1 Cap twice daily after meal.x 5 days
  2. Tab Paracitamol 650( Acetaminophen) 1 tab bd x 5 days
  3. Cap Pan D( Pantoprazole + domperidone) 1 Cap bd before meal x 5 days
  4. Betadine mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water 2-3 times a day.( Povidone iodine 2%)
  5. Avoid sticky or sweet food.
  6. Brush twice , floss
  7. Rinse when ever you eat

Paracitamol (acetaminophen) is byfar safe for renal insufficiency but it might not be so effective . But combination of these steps will soon bring her to a state of ease.

As she has already been to medications twice it would not be very safe and helpful this way. This is the last time she should take the medications and visit the Dentist as soon as possible.

She needs a Root canal as fillings wont help any more . So much pain arise when pulpal involvement take place. Kindly upload an image in that regards as comenting witout seeing the tooth would be useless.

I would like to help you more if you can just cooperate and let me see what causing the pain. If you can see the cavitis , you can just make small cotton balls and mix it with Rexidine M Forte gel and place it over the cavities and pack it . It will not only prevent food deposition , but will also numb it an easy the painful episodes.

Let me know if any further query , Am here to help.

Caries

Irreversible pulpitis

Medications given kindly follow my prescription,she might need a root canal depending upon the image of the tooth you upload to me as soon as possible.

Place a cotton ball socked with a numbing gel into.the cavity and pack it . It would numb and prevent any pain for now.
But need a management as soon as possible. (Root canal)

Avoid sticky or sweet food as much possible.

Let me know when ever needed am here to help .

| 
2 out of 2 likes