Q. My mom is having a lot of pain because of swollen gums. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

My mom is having a lot of trouble because of her swollen gums. Her swollen gums are getting worse. We cannot go to a doctor nearby because of the COVID-19. Her premolar and molar teeth, three in a sequence, are infected. They all are causing the pain because of the cavity. She had to go for a filling of the tooth, which is mainly aching right now. She is a kidney donor. She cannot even sleep as the pain is increasing.

She has completed two antibiotic courses. She is taking a medicine named Synflex for pain reduction.

Please help.

#

I went through your query, and I am deeply moved by the current condition of your mother. She is in too much pain, and I know the level of discomfort she has been through. As a specialist, I would like to help her.

Since she is a kidney donor so medications must be given that do not metabolize through the kidney as she has renal insufficiency. Kindly upload an image of the three consecutive teeth to determine the status of management needed.

1. Capsule Dalacin C 300 mg (Clindamycin 300 mg) 1 capsule twice daily after meal for five days.
  2. Tablet Paracetamol 650 (Acetaminophen) 1 tablet twice for five days.
  3. Capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole + Domperidone) 1 capsule twice before meal for five days.
  4. Betadine mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water 2 to 3 times a day (Povidone-iodine 2%).
  5. Avoid sticky or sweet food.
  6. Brush twice daily and floss.
  7. Rinse whenever you eat.

Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) is by far safe for renal insufficiency, but it might not be so effective. But the combination of these steps will soon bring her to a state of ease. As she has already been on medications twice, it would not be very safe and helpful this way. This is the last time she should take the medications and visit the dentist as soon as possible. She needs a root canal treatment as fillings will not help anymore. So much pain arises when pulpal involvement takes place. Kindly upload an image in that regard, as commenting without seeing the tooth would be useless. I would like to help you more if you can just cooperate and let me see what is causing the pain. If you can see the cavities, you can just make small cotton balls and mix them with Rexidine M Forte gel (Lidocaine, Chlorhexidine Gluconate, and Metronidazole) and place it over the cavities and pack it. It will not only prevent food deposition but will also numb it and ease the painful episodes.

Let me know if any further queries, I am here to help.

Caries.

Irreversible pulpitis.

Medications given kindly follow my prescription, she might need a root canal treatment depending upon the image of the tooth you upload to me as soon as possible.

Place a cotton ball socked with a numbing gel into the cavity and pack it . It would numb and prevent any pain for now.
But need a management as soon as possible (Root canal treatment).

Avoid sticky or sweet food as much possible.

Let me know when ever needed am here to help.

| 
2 out of 2 likes