Q. What can be the reason for swollen gums after kidney surgery?

Dr. Bharat Joshi

My gums have been swollen ever since I was discharged from the hospital after kidney surgery (me being the kidney donor) for the past week. I have noticed my gums feeling tender and swollen, causing my front teeth (upper and bottom) to hurt. However, my gums are not causing any bleeding, and doctors told me to avoid the dentist till I recover. I had issues with this about three years ago, and it got cured. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

Please be calm. The medications used for the treatment of kidneys may cause gingival hyperpigmentation and infection. I request you to please share the medicines you are taking to suggest precautions and preventions accordingly.

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently taking Docusate sodium, Ondansetron, and Hydrocodone or Acetaminophen. During the first days when I was in the hospital, I took Docusate sodium and Hydrocodone. Now I take Docusate and occasionally Tylenol if my pain is mild.

#

Among all your medications, only tablet Docusate sodium can cause swelling in lips, tongue, or maybe gingiva. There are no studies in support of gingival hyperplasia. But tablet Docusate sodium can cause swelling of oral tissues. Clinically the condition requires medications. I am suggesting some precautions as they will help prevent gum infections.

a) Do warm saline rinses once in six hours a day for five days.

b) Do Betadine rinse once 12 hours a day for five days.

c) Apply Metrogyl (Metronidazole) gel twice a day in that teeth if bleeding is severe.

d) Drink plenty of fluids.

Kindly inform if there is no improvement after five days. I also suggest professional oral prophylaxis after one month.

|